Monday, February 20, 2006

Defining Capitalism

To begin the journey we should first know where it is we are going. You wouldn't wake up one morning and say "I think I want to go to Texas" without knowing first of all where Texas is and perhaps how to get there. Therefore I think it's only logical that I first define this system we call Capitalism.

capitalism -- an economic system based on private ownership of the
means of production. Under capitalism, individuals, companies or corporations
invest in, own, and share in profits (or losses) of the entities that produce
goods, distribute products or provide services.
source: OTS glossary, US Department of Treasury: http://www.ots.treas.gov/glossary/gloss-c.html

A standard definition, but it does not describe the capitalist system. One might argue however, that the purpose of a definition is not to describe but identify which is true. When applying that definition to the United States I would have to agree that the U.S. is a capitalist system and I can now begin my journey and report my observations. However, I am not new to this country nor to the capitalist system. I have lived here, in it for my entire life. For 21 years I have participated in capitalism in many ways, I have been both a victim and benefactor of the system. Therefore I do not feel presumptuous to define Capitalism as I have witnessed it:

Capitalism -- the relentless pursuit of profit through the exploitation of the environment, workers, and consumers.
It is my purpose to record through this blog my observations of capitalism and in effect explain my rational behind my definition of capitalism.

1 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Blogger changeseeker said...

Cooool. I'll be back. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home