Friday, February 24, 2006

Unfair definition?

Throughout the last week I have been considering my definition of capitalism. Perhaps my definition is unfair, it can be argued that it's not captialism that exploits however it is the capitalist, the "Power Elite" as C. Wright Mills calls them. In my last post I concluded that we must hold the companies and individuals who exploit us accountable for their exploitations, this is the basis for my reconsideration of the definition.

Capitalism is a system, a theory if you will, and in its basic principles it is not a bad thing. Perhaps it is our execution of capitalism which is better defined as the exploitation of the environment, workers, and consumers.

How can I point my finger at the system when it is the executors who are responsible? As with plays you cannot discredit a script because of poor direction or poor actors, so can I not discredit capitalism without fully examining its script.

Just something for me to think about I guess...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home