Tuesday, February 28, 2006

On a side note...

Breaking slightly from my economic rants I pose a question: What are the gender roles associated with student behavior in the college setting?

Today I was put in a somewhat awkward situation- actually scratch that perhaps the situation wasn't awkward so much as the fact that it was the first time I was ever in the siutation which made it awkward.

Its almost time for mid-terms and like most other college students I'm begging the grulling process of cramming and reviewing the first half of the semester. Luckily most of my classes are pretty straight forward and I'm confident I will not have much difficulty with the exams. My Latin American Politics class, however, is the exception. Its an upper-level course adn very extensive. In a few weeks we have covered almost the entire history of Latin America in respect to government, economics, society, and religion. As you can imagine there is a TON of information that coudl be considered relevant and important and therefore testable. To aid myself this weekend I endeavored to creat a study guide, one which I might add I am very proud of, I decided after completing it that I would show it to my professor so that he can make currections or suggestions. So today after class, as the other students surged out the door, I approached. My proffessor is very appraochable, very willing to help students I wasn't afraid that he would lash out. He was actually glad to see that I had gone the extra mile, however while he was reviewing the 8 pages of terms and short answer questions I felt like I was under a microscope- not be judge by my professor but by my peers. I felt some how immasculated because I was asking my professor for help. I was afraid that someone might think of me as weaker, academically, and that some how my contirbutions to in class discussions would be discredited. Now that I look back, I am offended that I would be made to feel that way. I come to school to learn, part of that is asking for help, why should I feel bad for taking advantage of it? Perhaps the reason why I felt so uncomfortable is because in my observations the majority of students who talk to their proffessors after class are female. Most of my male counterparts seem to exude their manhood in their ability to shrugg off the professor.

I don't know...just something I'm thinking about...anyone else ever observe this?

1 Comments:

At 7:36 PM, Blogger changeseeker said...

For what it's worth, I'm approached about as often by men (for academic "help," for input, for dialogue, for counseling) as I am by women. My experience may or may not be typical, and I do try to be student-friendly in general, but I see and talk with lots of students--male and female--on a regular basis. Almost too regular sometimes. Guess that's the result of being student-friendly, huh? :-D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home